Using the CSCOE grant for STEM opportunities at Faithful Shepherd:
- Eleven K-5 teachers, enrichment teacher, and two specialists attended Project Lead the Way (PLTW) STEM training this summer at the University of MN. Grade level teachers will be implementing a new STEM component to complement their science curriculum. Instruction time for each (K-5) grade level STEM module is estimated to be about 10 hours of STEM instruction. K-5 teachers spent time during workshop week to coordinate STEM timeline with April Kirby who will be the K-5 STEM lead teacher.
- Middle School STEM courses estimate about 40 hours of instruction and will meet on a specialist rotation. April Kirby spent a week training for a second middle school STEM course which will be added to the middle school STEM curriculum.
Below are the STEM modules for 2019-20:
- Middle School grades 7 & 8 – Computer Science for Innovators and Makers
- Middle School grade 6 – Design and Modeling
- 5th grade – Input/output Computer Systems
- 4th grade – Infection: Detection
- 3rd grade – Programming Patterns; Grids and Games
- 2nd grade – Light and Sound; Grids and Games
- 1st grade – Animal Adaptations
- Kindergarten – Structure and Function: Exploring Design